Checkpoint 1: May 4
1. What is the goal?
Explain the physics of time in a relativistic context such as GPS triangulation, communication over very large distances, etc.
2. What questions will you answer?
- 2.1 How is relativistic correction done for GPS triangulation for receptors on Earth?
- 2.2 How is the position of a rover on other planet (such as Mars) accurately calculated?
- 2.3 Phenomenon of Time dilation (what are the boundary conditions at which time dilation start to become significant?)
3. Techniques that will be used
- 3.1 Validate GPS triangulation using actual satellite orbital data
- 3.2 Formulate a simple method without using any external help to solve Q2.2
4. Evaluation/Falsification of Results
- Using data from Space-Track, 3.1 can be validated by analytical methods and formulae.
5. Prior work