Project 9: Casting/Molding. Mill
something out of wax using cad.py and the modela, make a mold out of
polyurethane, and make a plaster object.
I used Microsoft Paint to make an "F"-shaped shape with the word "art"
on it. Below is the file that I used.
I decided to use the 1/64" bit because of the small features of the
text. This made it take forEVER to render in cad.py and even longer to
For some reason the mill decided to poke a bunch of holes in the wax
before I got to it. Who knows what that was from. It was also
really difficult to clean out all the shavings.
I was only able to find small amounts of polyurethane, but used them
anyway and made my mold. I left it to set for about 16 hours and tried
so sad, it did not work!! Look at the ugly blob:
I believe this happened for two reasons.
1. I did not use demolder.
2. Regardless of this, the polyurethane is super slimy gross. I
tried again and when I remixed the two components I was shocked to
realize that part B looked really different than my first attempt
(less translucent, different consistency).
I believe this is because it needs to be stirred and since I was using
the very bottom, the dregs, the backwash of part B, it didn't quite
work to crosslink the polyurethane.