Ben Waber.How to Make Almost Anything.Molding and Casting

I wanted to experiment with tesselations for this class, so I pulled out a few Escher prints and tried to make them into a 3D mold. Here's the one that I used:

Originally I just put a black border around this to make this image:

When I used this, however, the resolution of the end mill I used (1/8 inch rounded) was too coarse to make the tesselation effect clear in the mold. All of the white lines interfered with contouring the shape, although it did make a pretty interesting pattern.

I cleaned up the image and tried to eliminate as much of the extra white/black lines as I could:

But when I tried milling this mold with a 1/16 inch rounded end mill, besides some undesirable scraping of the end mill across the surface of the mold as it moved from position to position, it still wasn't able to fully countour the tesselation, although it did get closer. It looked much splotchier, so I decided to use the original mold I milled out to cast an object using the silicone solution. It actually looks really interesting, even though it wasn't the effect I had intented. If I had made a much larger mold it would probably have worked, but I didn't want to use too much material.

I'll post pictures of the molds/final product soon.