this week the inspiration was ernst haeckel (thanks natan!), thinking about making something i could replicate, i thought about making sewing buttons.






i’ve noticed many of my clothes are missing buttons, and i seldom take the time to go looking for a matching one. besides, i find them boring. i had  wild dreams of making a big mold with different shapes and sizes, but  when i saw how long the modela takes to vectorize and mill...

had to stick to one. one and only.  perhaps later on...

imported a .png and tried milling with the .32 bit since i wanted detail, but the amount of time it was taking to vectorize was crazy. still, gave it a try after seeing jb’s results (thanks jb). but for some reason, the path was getting clogged with the was it was milling...

used the eighth one instead, it was going fine till the bit got stuck in the wax....

had to start all over, importing the .rtl file.

canceling a job proves more complicated than not. sometimes having to restart the computer... (thanks maxim, david m.)

stupidly, did not reset the x and y, so it started milling at the corner of the block of wax.

it had taken so long and there were people waiting, so decided to let it be and make a little frame for it later on. ended up making a tape lip to pour  into.

it came out a pretty piece i think. fragile and not a very effective button thus far. but perhaps a hardener, or a harder material...

in any case, this stuff is great.