retrospect, this might have been a bit ambitious. As you will see, this
is a guide of learning from one mistake after the other.Design (& frustration)
started by acquiring an existing ring and took some measurements to try
to rescale it while keeping the correct aspect ratio. I then used
Solidworks to CAD it. This was very useful & frustrating but I am
much much better at CAD now. Here is a CAD of the main body, the
cavities are there for when I do the details but I will come to that
that the dimensions are of the order of 3 feet and the thickness of
about 1 foot, I needed the biggest and thickest material
available. This happened to be pink insulation foam (8ft X 4ft X2").
I then made the sheets in solidworks and used the combine (boolean) function to make the appropriate cuts.
realized that I will be needing alot of foam to make this happen so I
made the ring smaller for that. After grabbing 3 pieces of foam from
John & Tom (Thanks a lot for your help), I still needed more so I
went to Home depot and got 6 more panels. Of course, with my luck, they
only had 1.5" thick foam so I had to go back and redo the cuts.
Cuts to be addedMachining- ShopBot
of those cuts contain some 3D features which require surfacing. When I
tried to surface all of them, we realized with James that each would
take about 5 hours and all because of a very small 3D feature. So we
decided that I would redesign the cuts and make as much profiles as
possible and make a big job with all the 3D pieces.