Week 4 : 3D Scanning and Printing

Process:

1. 3D Scanning: Initially my idea was to scan a stuffed dog of my own and turn it into a double headed dog (like the one pictured above). As a 3d scanning platform I tried Autodesk 123D Catch with the following set-up / results:

 

Set-up 1: Stuffed dog on a dar / uniform surface:

This set-up did not work very well as the software got very confused with the shadows / seeming lack of reference points so fot my nex iteration I tried the following:

 

Set-up 2: Stuffed dog on a bright surface with reference points:

I tried creating some reference points for the software by making some hard line distinctive cuts on the base paper, the idea was that this way it would be easier for the program to identify which side of the dog it was looking at, I also tried to eliminate the hard shadows by creating a more uniform light, everything met with some mixed results:

 

123D Catch Conclusion:

The program has a hard time recognizing voids in the figure you are scanning (see figure below). I figure that with enough time and practice one should be able to 3d scan something with reasonable results with this software (with the added benefit that it also creates a material map for your model so if you render it it will already be mapped..)

I highly recommend watching their tutorials before doing anything, even taking photos. You can find the tutorials HERE.

 

2. 3D Modeling: Since my 3D scanning did not produce a printable model I decided to find a model online that I could then manipulate in order to get the same effect, I went to the Sketch-up warehouse and found this:

 

 

3. Modifying an existing mesh model: It is relatively easy to modify a meshed model using the standard tools in Rhino, the only thing that can make this a tricky is having open edges, so I would say that is the most important consideration, for this particular model I cut the downloaded model in half, erased the back part and mirrored the front of the dog anlong the transversal axis, then I mirrored again along the longitudinal axis in order to have all the cut points precisely match on both sides.

 

 

 

4. 3D Printing: After getting the model ready for 3d printing (closing all open edges, etc) we handed the model in to Skylar who then sent it to the Z-Corp printer.. It is worth noting that the model is quite fragile and some of the thinest parts are falling appart already (some are eroding on their own..) Still, I'm quite pleased with the result..

 

 

5. Taking the dog out for a stroll:  I took my dog for a walk around the studio where he got into all sorts of adventures, evidence below: