I decided to make an easel to use both for displaying pictures and for painting. I went to the local Blick's and got an idea for the design. Overall it's a pretty simple 3-legged structure. I used OMax to create the layout, and MasterCam to create the toolpath for the mill. The supporting legs needed more depth for support, so I decided to glue two pieces together to increase the volume.
With the help of Ken (many thanks to him), I learned the proper way to glue them together by clamping them to a straight edge to prevent them from curling
After getting some hardware (hinge for the backleg and screws), I was able to put the pieces together. I think the angle back leg could've been made a bit shorter to both reduce the weight and to decrease the space used when the easel is standing.