a not very impressive image of one of the final products
In this line of research I was considering developable conic surfaces in the context of corrugated cardboard and akward tangencies. Prior to this I had been exploring _______ but at arriving at cones we get interesting intersections and a parametric space that could eventually elborate on the complexity of the system. This was exciting to me.
I was looking at http://www.gldarch.com/projects/show?utf8=%E2%9C%93&tag=18&project=11 work on developable surfaces, thinking about vaults and roofs like http://www.archdaily.com/30329/afterparty-ps1-2009-installation-mos-architects and about quilts... of truncated and intersected cones.
The great thing is that cones are developable surfaces so unrolling them doesn't have to contend with distortion you'd get in doubly curved surfaces. From there I checked issues of remapping score lines to understand alignment, and tried some different ways of getting at living hinges to deal with the corrugation. The result was not the best as it still took manual effort to impose the curvature on the material, and it would fail where the grain of the corrugation was in line with the cut lines. Further, dealing with the pressfit connection to close the one surface on itself was still a bit vague - how would this arrowhead connection approach how it is received - perpendicularly in order to lock (kidn of) or tangentially in which case the connection would be a bit loose?
from these experiments I extracted that if i used a kerfing on the underside of the cone, it would eliminate material enough for me to shrink the interior material and close the surface on itself less forcefully. I approached locking the sheet to itself with a secondary key that I was hoping would retain the pieces through friction - between tolerances, geometry, and size of the key this didn't work. With intersections between adjacent cones in mind, teeth were implemented along the edges that could allow each cone to lock into its partner, hopine that the dihedral angle would keep it in place.
This was close. I decided on a locking mechanism instead that bridge between adn through the two sides of the sheet. The teething was close but I forgot to consider the reciprocated patterning. I also took this opportunity to define the teeth relative to the geometry of the cone though i'm not sure this actually made any sense given that it made adjacent locking easier at the midpoitn of the shared edges, but not along the extremeties