Molding and Casting

a triangle scale

For this weeks assignment, I planed to make a triangle scale, because I wanted to investigate the accuracy of the final product. In addition to make an idea to be easily reproducable, it can be connected to another peice for your desired times.


I used Rhinoceros to model my triangle scale.

Fig1. a connectable scale

Fig2. initial positive model


For milling, I noticed that I forgot to consider the tool diameter, and things did not have efficient space. My outer edge broke.

Fig3. rough cut milling

Fig4. fine milling

Fig5. broken edges

the Silicone Negative

All was fine with making the oomoo, one thing is that the outer wall was too thin that it can bend easily.

Fig6. weird effect of static electricity

Fig7. pouring to the wax

Fig8. tapping to bubble escape

Fig9. depressurizer

Fig10. wating to cure the oomoo

Fig11. silicone result

Casting stone

I used the two materials that was provided, dry stone did not dry because I missed the calculation of water. After finishing, I measured the distance for accuracy, and the result was better then my expectations. dry stone seemed pretty accurate. I was not able to connect the two peices, because the joints was too small for a 1/8 ball nose endmill.

Fig12. wating to hydro-stone to cure.

Fig13. Hydro-stone

Fig14. Dry-stone