For design I wanted to do furniture that would be assembled without nails or glue. Two night tables that would be made out of one sheet of plywood. The idea was to do a press-fit that would be enough detailed as to be decorative. On the table, both tables would have a cut-through holes for glasses (of water or whatever), and each table a carving of a moon/star. Doing the press fit so detailed was challenging. For that I used a grasshopper script that generates a zip-zagging press-fit curse on the corners of the table.
Before milling of the full tables, risking a full sheet, did a test, trying just one corner of the press-fit corner. To do this I measured the width of wood - important to know the exact depth of the drilling and cutting. Also placed points on inside of the “teeth” of the press-fit, to direct the drilling, to ease fitting of parts.
1. merging file into Mastercam
2. Creating 5 toolpaths:
(a) drilling holes;
(b) pockets - half the way through the material (0.2 inch);
(c) machining contours, half way through with 1/8” mill. Half the way to prevent mill rom breaking;
(d) Remachining of contours, almost all the way through, leaving an “onion-skin” of 0.05”.
(e) Redrilling of holes at corners of press-fit.
The tricky part of chaining is the direction of the chain. The direction also determines the offset direction
Tested press-fit of one corner. Turned out fine:)
Full sheet milling
"Onion-Skin” and plywood - can be messy
We have a problem: in re-milling, final chain was reversed
Going back to mastercam to debug, turns out that the last remachining of the contours was reversed.
Remilling last part
This was way harder than fitting the test. Needed extensive filing and hammering to get it together.
WORKED OUT NONTHELESS. GOOD NIGHT!