Week Fourteen: Machine Design
Modular machine machining. Deus Ex Machina?
This week was a group assignment: We were asked to build a machine and modify it slightly.
One of our TAs, Nadya, has designed a modular machine that can be made from scratch using stages, chips and cardboard pieces. So we went here and our assignment was to build the machine and modify it slightly.
The python library we are using is called gestalt. Why? Because:
We met right after class in the CBA shop; I’ve never been there because I’m part of the Harvard section, and it was great to get a great tour from Stefania. I started on the wire cutting team and we created several wires for the machine. Later my hands were needed on some laser cutting and a lot of assembly.
Our final project was to be able to follow Neil’s face outline with a hot soldering pen to make a Neil Toast - we ended up writing “HTM” on the toast.
Another thing I did to help the team was figure out the right coordinates for the letters H-T-M. So I opened Rhino and used the Text command to create a 2d text image on the grid, then figured out the coordinates required for the machine. Overall there was a core group of us who got some really nice work done!
- Wire Cutting:
- Attempt at making the tip with a heating screw and not a soldering iron:
- Neil’s outline in monochrome:
More photos taken by others are here.