Week One: Website set-up
The purpose of this post is mostly to get to know some Markdown features and play around with text and images.
(I’ll admit; the last time I owned a website was in the 1999 Geocities era; it was a website dedicated to The Simpsons and I was 14 years old).
Website - How did I choose the environment I chose
My German blood makes me a true believer in version-controlled projects. Most of my experience was with perforce, but I’ve owned a Github account for a while now.
A good friend at CODE@HBS recently introduced me to Jekyll, a blog-building platform that works well with GitHub and is extremely easy to use, so I gave it a shot.
Website - Setup
This site is based on Barry Clark’s Build a Blog with Jekyll and Github Pages tutorial. Here are the major steps I took after forking the project onto my own GitHub page:
At first, I updated the site through the web-based editor, and committed files immediately:
- Personalized _config.yml
- Added photo
- Updated first Blog Entry (“Week Zero”)
(By the way, if you want to make an unordered list in Markdown, you have to leave a blank line between the end of the last paragraph and the list. Ugh.)
At some point I noticed the site stopped updating; I’ve received an email from GitHub that the Jekyll build failed, but the error message was very vague. I decided to download the Jekyll Build tools to my personal computer to debug in an easier way:
- Downloaded RubyInstaller
- Downloaded GitHub Desktop
- Cloned my project to my local computer
- Built my site locally
- Commited, pushed to GitHub
That’s how I finally figured out the error:
This was because I used a colon -
: - without the backslash escape character -
\: - in the first Blog post. In the title, the escape character isn’t enough and one must use the HTML code for colon,
:. Lesson learned!
I also found this very useful Markdown Cheatsheet.
To add and summarize, here are my weapons of choice for maintaining this site: