Week TEN.

Output Devices

Main Page

Idea -- Relating to Final Project

So, this was a relatively important week for my final project, which if you recall is anAlternative World Chess Set. Regarding the physical workings, rather than the political statement this final project is supposed to embody, my Step Response Input Device will be connected to a series of RGB LED's, lighting up as the pawn is able to make it's way down the board. So, for this week, I wanted to focus on the proper design and code of a circuit board using an ATTINY44, that goes through gradient of lights, ranging from Red to Blue, based on the position of the pawn. In some ways the movement of the pawn will create a dance of light as the game progresses.

So, I worked on the schematic of this board, and how it would be ideally connected to my input step response from two weeks ago, which arguably still needs some work.

I used Eagle to create my schematic and board design, this time actually able to use the DRC functions and this time labeling and naming the nets to connect components (a more reliable process than just by eye and hand). I kept the overall design of the board simple, and rightfully decided not to focus on the aesthetics of the board (go me! I'm learning). As the new FabModules were set up, I used the MDX-20 Roland Mill to mill my board.

Stuffing the board, of course is my space of peace throughout this process, so I put on my newly discovered podcast Still Processing, if you're interested, and got to work.

And from here, I know from past experience that the coding piece brings me the most difficulty. I haven't been able to go through this process seamlessly yet, so I decided to take several steps back and unpack more thoroughly all of what is going on using C.

Even still, I have much work to do. I was able to appropriately work on my code and create one, albeit basic, to light the LED one color at a time. However, yet again, there were issues with the design of my board. Next steps: Figure out exactly what happened, and how I can in the next iteration work to connect this with my Input Device Step Response.