MAS.863:How To Make ( almost ) Anything

Output devices
actuator for xylophone

In this I started making steps toward the final project. I worked with my teammate Andrew Bahle and discussed ideas and work on design and implementation together. we start by making the mechanical component necessary. fist a set of hammer and holder. We used N51 Onzore to make the cuts in plywood that provide better structural from.

we performed cutting, adding 2 pieces that are in form of E (holder) and glue them together. We inserted a set of nails that went through the hammers and in between the two holder parts. This would give the hammers a pivot point. After staying overnight we removed the clamps and the joints were oil better movement.

In the next step, we designed a mechanism to control the movement of the hammer, we took inspiration from solenoid tutorial and build new solenoid for the part. we used 3d printing to make the part that contain the wire coil, and has a opening for a movement of rod in the center of the piece.

After making the solenoid we continue with measuring the resistance, and testing it. For measuring resistance we used a multimeter, and later used the power source to test the device. We limit the maximum amperage from the source to be 0.4A. We used a rod that was attached to number of magnets to create the force when the current is on. The resistance was 35.6 ohms.

After creating the solenoid we wanted it to be controlled by the ATTINY yet the power input be separated given the difference in the current. We thus design a secondary board that transfer the ON/OFF signals from microcontroller via a N-MOSFET. the board also contain a reverse resistor for discharging the coil (reverse current). One mistake that we made during printing was the difference in dpi, which caused the circuit to be printed twice as big the first time.

next we connected the solenoid the board to the microcontroller, and control the output with 2 clocks, depending on the state on the button on the board.

we next tested the design with the ATTINY.

Finally we tested the feasibility of the current design for making sounds! we didn't have a set of plates for now, and are planning to integrate the plates in the future designs.