mechanical machine design
As a group, design a machine that includes mechanism+actuation+automation
We broke into groups to handle machine design & hardware vs electronics vs software vs extruder. I worked on the team that handled machine design. We met for a marathon day of designing. This day’s heros were Erik Strand and Lizbeth Delatorre, with several others of us providing as much help as we could.
A chocolate extruding machine.
Machine body material: HDPE
CAD software: Fusion 360
We started with RCTN23-0375HDPE Fusion CAD File from the machine-week rct gantries repo: https://gitlab.cba.mit.edu/jakeread/rctgantries#rctn23-0375hdpe-fusion-cad-file
MODIFICATIONS TO STARTING DESIGN
Our machine bears weight at its extruder
Protecting our motors from chocolate
We started by using the provided RCT gantry as the X, Y, and Z axes, and worked on how to compose the axes.
We thought this would establish the best stability for chocolate extrusion.
ISSUES WITH ORIGINAL PLAN
We encountered parametric issues when attempting to shorten the x-axis from the original design -- we were unable to simply shorten the part, or lessen the number of tabs.
The issues with the parametric settings caused us to reconsider our design.
to work with the parametric issues & constraints imposed by the original design:
We mirrored our y-axis component to create its mate
Connect y-axes with a base plate. The problem was that two separate components cannot be connected by one body (a base plate).
We deleted the base plates of the y-axis components and put them into a new “base plate” component, which we then joined into one base plate. We reconnected this base plate to our y-axes.
Connecting the y-axes and x-axis with brackets:
We started with the design for the provided 90 Degree Block for 1/4" Aluminum: RCTBLK-90-025ALU Fusion CAD File
We went into the part’s creation history timeline in fusion to modify it in the following ways:
To save ourselves time, made the decision to not include all of the fillet’s from Jake’s original design. We did this knowing we ran the risk of imprecision at the time of cutting the parts.
Throughout this process, much of time went to measuring parts and determining how large parts should be, how many holes they should have, etc.
Assembly continued, and we finally handed our design off for fabrication.