[MAS.865](../../index.html) > [people](../../people) > Andrew Spielberg
I'm a PhD student at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory co-advised by Wojciech Matusik and Daniela Rus, working on the Printable Programmable Machines project. Prior to joining MIT, I earned my M.Eng in Computer Science and my B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering Physics at Cornell University, where I briefly worked with Hod Lipson's group, and then spent two years working as a research engineer in the Asymmetric Operations Department at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab (JHU/APL).
I work in the intersection of fabrication and robotics. Previously, that meant designing algorithms for robotic assembly, but these days I am creating tools to enable users to quickly design, program, and easily fabricate their own personal robots using data-driven tools. I am strongly interested in democratizing fabrication, both in form and function, and computational creativity. My work falls in the intersection of computer graphics, machine learning, and robotics.
In summer 2015 I had an awesome internship at Disney Research: Pittsburgh, working on projects in fabrication and interaction, and I had another awesome internship in 2016 at Disney Research: Zürich.
##My System Project
I will be working on a silicone 3D Printer for applications in robotics.
Everything below is subject to change.
###Task 1: Chassis Design and Fabrication
Target date: March 8
Update: March 14
Well, it's a little behind schedule, but here we are. My chassis is completed, shown below. I had never made a 3D printer before, and frankly, I didn't know where to start. I started researching a whole bunch of different possible architectures (I found this breakdown to be very helpful). At the end of the day, I wanted something intuitive to reason about (so, printhead on both the X and Y axis, and the Z axis controlled directly). Delta had a lot of complicated calculations I'd have to work with (I'd written control software back in HtMAA and there are a lot of ways to mess up). The moving bed on Prusas seemed a little needlessly complicated and would require weird sign changes. So, unless I wanted to reinvent the wheel, that meant it was down to either the Darwin or the CoreXY. Well, I heard so many good things about the CoreXY from Neil, so I figured it was worth giving it a shot. I looked around for a good tutorial, and found the Voron. As I go, I'll make changes to the official Voron design for my purposes. This week, I've already started by changing the build volume of my printer.
So far my chassis is 2'x2'x1'. It's built using 20x20 t-slot connectors, which I tapped and connected with cube connectors. Next up: adding the axes!
###Task 2: Motor Mount and open-loop control
Target date: March 22
###Task 3: Closed loop control toolchain perfected
Target Date: April 12
###Task 4: Four nozzles designed, mounted, demonstrated
Target Date: April 26
###Task 5: Computational Design of structures
Target Date: May 17
March 9: I am working with some others to add a Mods module for automating the specification and fabrication of axes for 3D printing. Currently I've written a three.js viewer here, though it's not up and running on the webpage since I'm not yet sure how we're hosting three.js as a library. Currently, it just takes in a few options (height, weidth, depth, axis type) and renders a corresponding cuboid. This will become more sophisticated as we integrate it with other pieces and Mods itself.