What are we going to cover?
- Various ways to convert between DC voltages - linear and switching regulators.
- A little bit about moving between AC and DC, although this is pretty straightforward
- A little bit about converting between AC voltages - transformers
- Electric motors and how they’re driven
Some good resources before we begin:
- LTSpice is an accessible + powerful tool for circuit analysis.
- Electronics Tutorials.ws is a great resource, along with All About Circuits.com
- If you are interested in power electronics you should take Power Electronics Lab!
- Almost everything we look at can (and probably should) be purchased as an IC or finished assembly, with a few exceptions. Still it helps to make informed decisions if we have some idea of what’s going on!
- Operating a power supply in DCM for constant current applications
- Good resources for designing PCBs with power electronics in mind: