Due to the previous week of "successfully failing," I decided that this week I would attempt to do extra work. For this added effort, I enlisted the help of my fellow classmate Stephanie. This week's assignment was to make a mold and cast an object.
We bought a chess set and molded each individual chess piece in a two-part-mold using PMC 121/30 Urethane. Between the two pours, we made sure to rub soap on the surface as a release to prevent the surfaces from attaching together. We also added a pour stem with plasticine to allow for the casting substance to flow in. Once the molds had cured (remember we were replicating a complete chess set), we poured chocolate into them.
While the chocolate chess pieces were hardening, I decided to mill a checkers piece in wax. The image had to be inputted into cam.py. From there it was sent to the mill. In the wax mold, I poured plaster of paris, and allowed it to harden for a couple of hours. The result was a complete chess set of chocolate and a few checkers pieces on the side. Marvelous!