Plastics: The Injection Molder & The Vacuum Former
This 7th assignment we are to use the injection molder and the vacuum former.
· There is a tutorial online somewhere.
· Material is an a plastic bag. Various colors are available.
· Add material to the bin in the back. Fill
· Put in colored beads as you wish. It doesn’t need many for color.
· Put in plate on base to purge system.
· Recommended temperature settings: top: 260, middle: 260, bottom 300. Typically there sould be a 40-50 degree difference between the top & middle, and the bottom
· The Black knob in the back adjusts pressure.
· Purge material: press green START button
· Engage carriage. Inject (a few seconds)
· Extrude --- hold. This sucks in new material for the next injection. The piston should be turning and pulling up.
· Bring carriage up and remove plate.
· Purge 2X
· Place mold in holders
· Insert in machine. Line up injection holes. Spruce should be on right hand side.
· Turn knob on right counterclockwise to lower pressure.
1. turn timers on
2. adjust material with front black knob
· Basic adjustments:
2. Amount to extrude
I molded the top of a Legos block, which is a test block for my final Legatos project. Using the injection molder was a relatively small project compared to getting the block ready for the NC mill and getting the mill to successfully create the block. Pictures coming soon.
· Use PetG material
· Peal off protective coating on both sides
· Place items that you will mold over on the bed.
· Lower bed.
· Sandwich PetG between upper and lower plates (make sure 2 gaskets align) and lock
· Put 6 heaters on full
· Slide top over PetG material
· Wait a few minutes until plastic drapes 1.5” or so
· When ready, pull up and press MOULD
· Press RELEASE after a few seconds
I formed around a few Legos blocks, to see if by any chance there would actually be enough accuracy to have the mold function as a Lego. Wishful thinking. But the mold works well to store Legos, and I will make more molds in the future to store my Legatos final project. Pictures coming soon.