Final Project Preparation - LilyPad Fabduino Testing


Design | Text | Round Fabduino | Sewable LEDs | 3D Prints | Fab Radio| Parts | Programming


This week I spent a huge amount of time prototyping my final project. Part of that work was to develop a LilyPad Fabduino - an alternative to Leah Buechley's lovely LilyPad Arduinos - that can be fabricated here in the shop with our available materials. This proved far more difficult and time consuming than I had predicted - but I learned a ton. With about four days of time spent (and much help with Ed, Jie and David Mellis) it came together at the very last minute. Here is the play by play: \


From Fabduino to Round Fabduino
The original Fabduino.03 from Ed Baafi Tracing Ed's Board in Adobe Illustrator.
Stretching out the traces. Adding back in the components.
Image from Ella Peinovich Fabduino V.3 pin assignments. Pin assignments for the round Fabduino.
Milling attempt one - some traces are still touching. I cut this board out by hand and sanded the edges. Second milling attempt - Modela loses it's zero between jobs and can't cut out the boad.
Milling attempt two stuffed board. Ed attempted to program it and it doesn't work - I realize there is a trace missing. Updated traces - missing ground trace added.
Part of the issue is that this should be a single sided board but only double sided were available at this size. Stuffed board version three.
Stuffed board version three. Board version three after David Mellis directed major surgery. I need to fix one of the traces before I mill another board.
Programming! with David Mellis Program uploaded! with David Mellis

Here are the final files - 2.5 inches square -2000 DPI. Final Round Fabduino is 2 inches in diameter. These were milled at speed 3, 1/64" bit, 4 passes on the Modela. Each job takes about 90 minutes to mill.


For Milling:



Cut Out


For Sewing:

Ring (vinyl or laser cut to protect the ground trace)

A Simple One Layer LilyPad Fabduino
Leah Buechley of High-Low Teach developed a simple one layer version of her LilyPad Arduio. The design intent is to be able to print copper onto paper.
I adapted Leah's Eagle file to the Modella's contraints and milled a board. When I went to stuff I realized I didn't have all of the names of the components.
< Previous Next >